Speed Up Windows 7 – Ultimate Guide To Make Windows 7 Blazing Fast!!!
7 is Engineered for speed. Special attention has been given by the
Windows 7 team for making Windows 7 faster than the previous operating
systems. Windows 7 is much faster than Windows Vista, but even then most
of us don’t get satisfied with it. There are many who still have their
old PC. Installing Windows 7 on them wont be as soothing as they work
with with XP and Even with latest hardware’s installed some users still
long for more performance. At least if we don’t make it lightning fast
we can optimize Windows 7 to the maximum possible extent and enjoy the
maximum performance we could squeeze out from it. So for all the extra
performance lovers, let me present you wit this Ultimate Guide To Speed Up Windows 7.
The bare Minimum Requirements You need To Run Windows 7
1) 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
2) 1GB of main memory
3) 16GB of available disk space
4) Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
5) A DVD – R/W drive
Even if you don’t have the DX 9 graphics card
there is no problem because our target is performance and not the ”
Eyecandy ” . Of course if you need the aero experience you need a
powerful graphics card for sure.
So lets start The Ultimate Guide to Speed up Windows 7
Disabling the Search Indexing Feature in Windows 7
- Right Click the “Computer” Icon in the desktop and select “Manage”.
- Click “Services and Applications” in the “Computer Management” window.
- Click on “Services”.
- You can see a lot of services listed there. Look for “Windows Search” in that.
- Right Click on “Windows Search” from the list and choose “Properties”.
- The “Windows Search Properties Window” will open up. From “Startup type” click on the drop down menu and choose “Disabled”.
- Click “Apply” then “OK” and that’s it. The Windows 7 Search Indexing Feature is now disabled.
Disable the Aero Theme on Windows 7
- Right Click on your Desktop and select ” Personalize ” click the Window Color Tab.
- Uncheck the Box saying ” Enable Transparency ” and then click on ” Open classic appearance properties for more color options”.
- Then a window will open up. Apply a Standard or Basic theme from it. The Standard Windows 7 theme is more preferred.
Disabling the Unwanted Visual Effects in Windows 7 to Speed Up more
- For this right click on ” Computer” and select “Properties” from the right click menu.
- Click on ” Advanced System Settings ” from the left pane to open up the ” System Properties ” window.
- Select the “Advanced” tab from it. Then Under ” Performance ” click ” Settings “. Choose ” Custom: ” Options From it.
un tick all the options and select only the last four options (actually
three only needed; you can un tick the second option from the last
four). See the screen shot if you have any doubt.
- Now just logoff your system and turn logon.
Disabling the Unwanted Services to Speed up Windows 7
Disable the User account control (UAC) Feature in Windows 7
- From the Control Panel open the ” User Accounts and Family Safety ” > User Account.
- Click the User Account Control settings link.
- Now just Drag the Slider towards “Never Notify”.
- Click “OK” and Reboot your system.
SetUp the Windows 7 Ready Boost Service for an Extra Speed Boost
configure the Ready Boost Feature in Windows 7 you need to have a High
Speed Flash/USB or Pendrive with you which is ready boost compatible.
plugging you pendrive, open “Computer” > Right-click the on USB
Drive/Pendrive > select “Ready Boost” tab > tick the “Use this
- You can configure how much space on your USB drive/ Pendrive to be used as Ram.
Turn off Unused Windows 7 Features
- Open up ” Programs and Features ” from Control Panel.
- Click the ” Turn Windows features on or off ” from the left pane.
- Now uncheck all the Feature that you don’t use in Windows 7 and restart the system for the changes to take effect.
Disable the Windows 7 Sidebar (Actually the Gadgets)
- Right click on the sidebar and select ” Properties “.
- On the properties windows untick the check box showing ” Start sidebar when Windows Starts “
- From now on windows sidebar won’t start when windows 7 start up.
Disable the Aero Peek and Aero Snap features in Windows 7
- Open the Windows 7 ” Control Panel ” and double-click on ” Ease of Access Center ” icon.
- Now click on the ” Make it easier to focus on tasks ” seen at the bottom in there
- Now untick the check box saying ” Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen ” .
- Right click on the Windows 7 taskbar and select ” Properties “.
- Now untick the ” Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop ” option from there.
Change the Power Plan To Maximum Performance
- Double click the ” Power Options ” in the Control panel.
- Click the down arrow showing ” Show Additional Plans ” to see the ” High Performance ” power plan
- Now just activate the ” High Performance ” plan and that’s it.
- You may go for the advanced settings for further tweaking if you want.
Disable the Thumbnail Preview Feature to speed up File browsing in Windows 7
- Double Click on ” Computer ” >click on the “Organize” drop-down menu and select the “Folder and Search options”
- Under ‘Files and Folders’ section, go to the “View” tab and tick the
check box showing “Always show icons, never thumbnails” checkbox.
Most Essential Softwares To Speed Up Windows 7
of the Windows 7 users do less searches in there system. The Search
Indexing service in Windows 7 will index keeps track of the files so
that they can be found quickly when asked at some other time. This
feature is useful only if you perform frequent searches on your system.
For occasional file searchers the Search Indexing service in Windows 7
is a total resource hog. It unknowingly eats up your system resources.
What you need from windows 7 is maximum performance from it then i
would certainly recommend you to disable this resource hogging Windows 7
Search Indexing Feature.
To Disable the Search Indexing Feature in Windows 7
you want to completely disable the search indexing feature in Windows 7
you can set the Search Indexing Service to Manual (See the above
method about disabling unwanted services).
aero user interface certainly adds some ” Eyecandy ” to Windows 7 but
certainly is a resource hog especially when, what you expect from
windows 7 is more performance juice. Aero user interface squeezes your
graphics or video card to its maximum. So why dont we just avoid the
Windows 7 aero? if we care more about speed and performance in Windows
7. So Disabling the Aero in Windows 7 certainly adds an extra speed boost to it.
the aero theme alone in Windows 7 will really speed things up. You can
know this by looking into the memory consumption when aero is turned on
though we have tuned off the aero effects in Windows 7 still there are
many unwanted visual effects that can be safely disabled to speed up
windows 7 even more.
You will now notice the speed difference now.
are many services in windows 7 that we dont require for our daily use.
There are some exceptional cases though. Services such as “print
spooler” is only needed when we use a printer. If we use a printer only
occasionally we can safely turn off that service in Windows 7 and turn
it on only when we need to take a print.
I have previously prepared a List of services in Windows 7 that can be safely set to manual / disabled.
Disabling the unneeded services in Windows 7 can really speed up the system boot time.
User account control (UAC) feature in Windows 7 is very annoying though
it says it can protect your computer from harmful virus activity etc.
But if you are a daily user of your computer this windows 7 feature will
be a total nuisance to you.
Disabling UAC is for advanced users only its not recommend doing it if not.
ready boost feature in Windows 7 will help you to use your flash drive
or pendrive or USB drive as Ram there by improving the performance and
speed of windows 7 greatly. You can certainly experience it when
launching bulky applications such as Adobe Photoshop etc.
are many feature in windows 7 that we often don]t use. Disabling these
unused features in Windows 7 will really help in speeding things up.
the window 7 sidebar is definitely help you to to gain a few seconds
during start up time. There are many useful utilities such as the
RocketDock etc. which are good application launchers.
To Disable the Sidebar in Windows 7,
Aero Snap will help you to maximize, minimize and resize the windows just by dragging and dropping it into the screen corners.
To disable Aero Snap Feature in Windows 7,
That will now disable the Aero Snap in Windows 7.
Now To Disable the Aero Peek feature in Windows 7
Aero Peek feature in Windows 7 helps you to peek through all open
windows by hiding all other windows and showing only the outlines of all
windows. Aero Peek is similar to the ” Show Desktop ” Feature in XP and
If you have followed step 3 then Aero Peek will be automatically disabled. If not,
The aero peek feature will now be disabled in windows 7.
Power settings in Windows 7 is not automatically set for maximum
performance. By default the power plan in Windows 7 is set for a
balanced performance with energy consumption on hardware. So you may not
get the optimal performance from windows 7 if this is the case. So we
need to change the power plan to High Performance Mode.
thumbnail preview feature in Windows 7 will show the small thumbnails
of the contents of a folder instead of showing it’s icon. But this
feature really do take up some system resources. So by disabling the
Thumbnail Preview feature in Windows 7 the file browsing in Windows 7
explorer can be speed up.
order to maintain your Windows 7 Performance and keep it up in Top
Shape there are some very essential software’s that can help us to Speed
Windows 7. I will list some of them here. You can download these
utilities. But i remind you that you need to run these utilities at
least once in a week. Only if you do it regularly your Windows 7 will be
in top shape every day.